Matrix Homeserver Setup
In the Matrix protocol and federated architecture, Homeservers are key components that host user accounts and other data related to communication. It also facilitates communication between users on different servers by relaying messages through a network of Matrix servers until it reaches the destination.
Rocket.Chat listens to events happening in the Homeserver and sends events relayed to other networks.
You can choose to install a Homeserver using any of the following methods:
We recommend using automatic installation since this comes with some configurations done.
- 8GB of RAM
- 20GB of Storage
- Ubuntu 20.04
You are required to have a domain available to host your Matrix Homeserver.
You must be aware of this vital setting before proceeding with the installation.
- Enabling ephemeral events like user typing indicator can affect the performance of your Matrix Homeserver and Rocket.Chat server for federated communicaation. This can be enabled by adding the following property in your Application Service configuration file:
- Add and enable the following properties to make public rooms visible and searchable on other Matrix networks.
- Following the automated installation enables everything by default and can be disabled by editing the generated configuration at
The Automated install makes it simple for you to install a Matrix Homeserver pre-configured with Rocket.Chat.
You are required to have the following on your system before installing.
- Open your terminal in any directory of your choice.
- Download and execute the script by running the following command. This creates a
.envfile that can be edited as needed
bash <(curl -L -s https://go.rocket.chat/i/federation-setup)
- Follow the instructions provided by the script to configure the workspace:
- Server's hostname: Add your domain name.
Adomain records pointing to your server's IP address as requested.
- Enter your email address. This is used to issue an SSL certificate for your domain.
- Start the container by running the following command:
docker compose up -d
Installing with the Automated setup automatically sets the values at Administration > Workspace > Settings > Federation > Matrix Bridge.
Rocket.Chat Matrix setup CLI is coming soon!
To test and make sure your Matrix setup is successful,
- Download and execute the test script in the same directory where the setup was initiated.
bash <(curl -L -s https://go.rocket.chat/i/federation-test)
- You get a notice about the setup status.
Follow this guide to set up a Matrix Homeserver with Synapse manually.
- Point all the generated DNS records to your server's IP address (all to the same IP).
- Configure the support for Application Service on the Matrix Homeserver: This can be done by creating a
registration.yamlfile under the
app/matrix-federation-configdirectory with the content provided in Workspace > Settings > Federation > Matrix Bridge > Registration File.
App Service Registration File content
To test your manual installation,
- Ensure Synapse is up and running.
- Confirm the federation setup is running, go to Matrix Federation Tester, and paste your Matrix Homeserver name (only the server name, not the full link).