WhatsApp Cloud App
The Rocket.Chat WhatsApp Cloud App provides direct communication between Rocket.Chat and WhatsApp using the WhatsApp Cloud API without needing third-party services like 360Dialog. Your Rocket.Chat workspace is linked through a Facebook Developer app with the WhatsApp setup.
- It is required to have your workspace on a secured, publicly available domain.
- You need a Meta developer's account to get the WhatsApp API credentials.
- Make available a Facebook Business account to link with.
- Your workspace must be registered on Rocket.Chat Cloud.
To install the WhatsApp Cloud Rocket.Chat App,
- Go to Administration > Apps > Marketplace.
- Search for the WhatsApp Cloud app.
- Click Install and accept the needed permissions. You receive a message from
#omnichannel-whatsapp-cloud-setupchannel with setup instructions.
Meta provides developer tools through their Facebook Developer's portal to easily build around the Meta ecosystem.
You must verify your account before proceeding if it is your first time accessing Facebook for developers.
- Click on Create App to create a new app
- Select Business as the App type and fill in the details
- App name: The name you want to call your app.
- Contact address: Your email to use when contacting you.
- Business Account: Select a business account if you have one. A new account can be created automatically if none is selected.
- Click on Setup against WhatsApp in the list of products to add displayed. A WhatsApp section is added to the left panel of your Facebook Developer dashboard.
- Navigate to WhatsApp > Getting Started; you will see a set of credentials to be used later to set up the WhatsApp Cloud App in Rocket.Chat
- Verify any existing WhatsApp number to receive messages while in Test Mode.
It is optional to link your original WhatsApp Business number to the App.
- Navigate to WhatsApp > Getting Started and click on Add phone number.
Follow the guides below to learn more about how to add a WhatsApp production number here:
Facebook uniquely provides the WhatsApp Cloud API token, Phone Number ID, and WhatsApp Business Account ID. These credentials are needed by every business when using WhatsApp Cloud services.
The token provided by Facebook initially is temporal. Optionally, you can get a permanent WhatsApp Cloud API token.
- Click to open the business page linked to the app.
- From the Facebook business setting page, navigate to System user.
- A list of existing users on that app is seen, if any. Click Add to add a user, then Accept the terms and conditions.
- Fill in the System username, then set the System User Role to Admin. Click Create System User.
- Click on Add Assets across the newly created user to add assets to use.
- A modal opens up, navigate to Apps, select the app, and enable Manage App. Then Save changes.
- The asset gets added to the system user. Click Done.
- Click on Generate New Token against the user to generate a new access token.
- Select the App from the dropdown and check the
whatsapp_business_managementpermissions. Then, click Generate Token.
- The permanent token is generated and presented to you. Copy this token and use it in your integrations.
To delete the Whatsapp app from your workspace,
- Go to Administration > Apps > Installed.
- Click the kebab menu against the Whatsapp app.
- Select Uninstall.
- Click Yes to confirm the uninstallation.